Our community is where our associates, customers, and clients live. We connect with our community, by seeking opportunities to innovate within the marketplace, partner with our clients and make an impact in the communities that we serve, enabling them to thrive.
We are continually seeking opportunities to partner with organizations to promote stronger and healthier communities. Here are a couple of examples…
Morrison Healthcare at Mission Health partners with Asheville Poverty Initiative (API) to help provide “rescued’” food to members of the community. The food is served by volunteers out of the 12 Baskets Café located in the West Asheville, North Carolina neighborhood. Mission Health works in tandem with local restaurants to donate food and support API’s goal to nourish and educate the community members. The food provided meets strict dietary guidelines and recipe compliance, so recipients of the food are receiving healthy, well-balanced meals.
IMPACT OF PARTNERSHIP
- Donated 100 pounds of food per week to Asheville Poverty Initiative.
- Worked to provide on-site nutritional information to help community members grow their nutritional knowledge.
- Provided food at no cost at their annual donor dinner to increase awareness of the program and partnership with Morrison.
“WE ARE DOING MORE THAN JUST PROVIDING FOOD TO FULFILL THE NEED TO FIGHT HUNGER, WE ARE PROVIDING NUTRITIOUS MEALS THAT PROMOTE HEALTH AND HEALING TO A COMMUNITY IN NEED.”
— JASON CHANNELL, REGIONAL DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
Canteen Chicago has had a longstanding partnership with Aspire, a pioneer in the way it provides services and opportunities for children and adults with developmental disabilities and their families. Aspire CoffeeWorks division sells coffee to raise money that supports the financial health of the organization. Canteen partners with Aspire by providing this coffee product to its local clients. Thus far, we’ve also hired three team members through the program. This partnership has been mutually beneficial in many ways and has helped elevate the conversation around the importance of inclusion.
IMPACT OF PARTNERSHIP
- Enabled 90 kids with disabilities from economically disadvantaged families to receive weekly individual therapy services.
- Fully funded career training for 180 adults with disabilities, giving them the opportunity to experience the pride and independence of having a job.
- Provided 36 adults with disabilities 30 hours of crucial skill-building sessions in order to learn life skills necessary to live safely and successfully.
“THE MORE ASPIRE COFFEE WE SELL, THE MORE PEOPLE CAN ENTER THE WORKFORCE AND THE MORE NET PROCEEDS WILL GO TO SUPPORT VITAL SERVICES FOR THOSE WHO NEED THEM.”
— ORRIN HUEBNER, REGIONAL DIRECTOR
COMPASS IN THE COMMUNITY AWARD
Compass Group recognizes associates and accounts who contribute to building stronger and healthier communities through the Compass in the Community North America awards.
- One Gold award: $8,000 for charities and attendance at the Compass Night of Stars Celebration!
- One Silver award: $6,000 for chosen charities
- Three Bronze awards: $2,000 each for their respective charities
The 2018 Gold Award honors Colgate University, a Chartwells Higher Education account. Colgate has a number of community initiatives it executes year-round that make meaningful impacts. Some highlights include helping build the local arts community through two large fundraisers, partnering with the Veterans Clear Path Program, participating in One Million Acts of Good, and sponsoring the children’s movie program during the summer. The team at Colgate University truly embedded themselves in the fabric of the community.
We pride ourselves on being a great company to work for, so when we are recognized in the community for this culture we work so hard to create, we celebrate. We celebrate the value and impact that diversity and inclusion continues to have on our company, our clients, and the customers we serve every day.
AMERICA’S BEST EMPLOYER FOR DIVERSITY
WORLD’S MOST INNOVATIVE COMPANIES
50 COMPANIES THAT CHANGE THE WORLD
BEST EMPLOYER FOR NEW GRADUATES
TOP 50 ORGANIZATIONS FOR MULTICULTURAL
As our world grows ever more digital and interconnected, we are continually exploring ways to leverage technology to improve how we communicate and work.
We are committed to making sure all our associates, regardless of role, are able to stay engaged and informed on what is happening with Compass. That is why, one of the solutions we implemented is the Nudge Rewards App. The mobile app based platform provides a series of campaigns designed to not only drive sales in a fun and motivating way, but inspire and build connectivity across the company.
Monthly Activity Rate
- “I love how we can communicate with others in the company! We don’t get to meet others often. This is also a great way to share ideas.”
- “My favorite part of my job is being able to build a positive relationship with my customers and clients. It is a great feeling to know that they really appreciate me, as well as my coworkers.”— Hi Jennifer! I definitely agree! There is something about making those connections with customers that end up making my day – Chicagoland— Yes, I love to laugh with my customers and it makes my day when better. – Boeing
- “One of my new favorite things is this app! I love knowing what other people are doing. It’s a fun way to connect with people in the company and share ideas. It’s also a good way to stay caught up on what’s going on and the
promotions we run.”
- “It honestly doesn’t feel like work when surrounded by wonderful people while also doing something that you are passionate about.”
“Compass Group’s North American views diversity as a fundamental business strategy. ‘Embrace Diversity’ is one of our five Global Core Values. Our supplier diversity team is committed to the development, utilization, and growth of diverse suppliers. Foodbuy, our purchasing organization, aims to include qualified diverse suppliers in all aspects of the procurement process. Further, we expect our major Vendor Partners to use similar inclusive practices in their procurement programs and vendor relationships”
— GARY GREEN, CEO COMPASS GROUP NORTH AMERICA
VALUING OUR DIVERSE SUPPLIERS
Our supplier diversity team seeks to identify certified Minority and Woman Owned Business Enterprises (MWBEs), for inclusion in Compass Group’s sourcing opportunities. Having a well-rounded supplier base helps Compass Group better anticipate the needs of the people we serve, and enables us to provide products and services that are specialized, competitively priced, and innovative.
As the largest foodservice and hospitality procurement organization in North America, Foodbuy is the sole sourcing partner for our parent company, Compass Group USA.
Driven by best-in-class sourcing strategies, our tremendous purchasing volume provides a great opportunity to support a strong supplier diversity program. Guided by a commitment to safety, Foodbuy partners with our approved suppliers to ensure the products and services we source meet the highest approved quality standards and our broad distribution needs.
The Foodbuy team is dedicated to:
- Growing the number of diverse suppliers in our supplier pool and maximizing the utilization of their goods and services throughout the business.
- Enabling supplier partners to work together to leverage their combined resources for greater business opportunities and expansion.
- Educating diverse suppliers on the business requirements to obtain certification for becoming an approved Compass Group vendor.
- Ensuring equitable consideration for diverse suppliers in the qualification, proposal, and contracting process.
- Providing Foodbuy customers with access to our diverse supplier base to meet their unique business needs.
“When our companies came together more than 20 years ago, we never imagined that our partnership would prove so successful. Today, we operate more than $1.8B in business together, and our partnership’s future looks even brighter. We are all looking forward to the next 20!” — Warren M. Thompson, President and Chairman
As the largest minority-owned restaurant, foodservice, facilities management and hospitality company in the country, Thompson Hospitality has had a strategic alliance with Compass Group since 1997. Together, we serve urban school districts, major hospital centers and business and industry accounts, including more than 30 of the Fortune 100 companies. Thompson Hospitality has, on a solo basis, developed a specialty niche in providing foodservice to many of the nation’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities. Our partnership starts with a total dedication to achieving excellence and ends with total customer satisfaction. Our high standards, efficient systems and creative concepts help deliver a top-quality dining experience. With Thompson’s unique understanding of the tastes and preferences of its customers and communities, our companies share a solid track record, a successful operating history, and the ability to handle a wide variety of foodservice needs.